Saturday, December 31, 2005

BLACK-EYED PEAS FOR EVERYONE!

Traditionally we take a little time at the changing of the calendar to take stock of the past year, and make resolutions for the coming year. Well, what a year this has been!

In this past year, Sym and I have seen our little boy make great strides in overcoming the obstacles imposed by his autism. He still has a way to go in his recovery, but he will get there.

Five months ago I started blogging after having spent a couple of months visiting other sites. I got into this based on the arrogant supposition that I had a lot to say. Very soon after getting this site up and running, I found that I had a lot to learn. To all those who stopped by and kept the conversation going, I extend my sincere thanks whether or not you agreed with me.

Of course, the biggest event for my family this last year was Hurricane Katrina. To those who gave their good wishes and prayers while we were refugees, you have my eternal gratitude. As it turned out, my wife and I were extremely lucky in that we had jobs and a relatively intact home waiting for us, but the evacuation was (and the ongoing recovery for this region is) nonetheless frightening. While we were away, the computer became our lifeline. You helped us more than you can imagine.

Perhaps the coming year won’t bring any event so life-changing as Katrina, but then again, it might. We might see events that change our lives to in even more profound ways.

On Sunday, I’ll be in the kitchen stirring the pot of black-eyed peas that comprise the heart of the traditional New Year’s Day dinner for many families in the South. While cooking, I’ll be formulating several resolutions for the coming year, intending to become a better father, a better husband, a better brother, a better lawyer, a better this, and a better that. My resolutions are much like the New Year’s Day meal itself. We eat black-eyed peas because they’re supposed to bring good luck, and cabbage because it is supposed to bring wealth. It is highly debatable whether I have seen enough good luck or wealth to make even a coincidental connection to the meal, but I love tradition without regard for outcome.

That many, if not most, of my resolutions will be broken in a relatively short time does not necessarily imply a lack of dedication to being better. The simple truth is, resolutions are based on the world we faced in the last year. Each new year brings challenges that we simply cannot visualize in advance. All we can really do is hold onto core principles and make our way as best we can.

Happy New Year!

5 Comments:

Blogger kristina said...

Thanks for helping us keep thinking clearly, and with sense, and--really--better, with all you have to say. Come Chinese New Year, we always have fish--a symbol of prosperity--and noodles--for long life.

Keep stirring the pot!
Warm wishes to you and yours from us here (with snow).

12/31/05, 7:20 PM  
Blogger Ginger Taylor said...

Wade,

Thank you so much for all that you have done this year. We are all richer since you have decided to share your wit and wisdom with us.

Happy New Year!

Ginger

12/31/05, 8:31 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Wade, may you and yours be flooded with nothing but joy in the new year! Happy 2006!

1/1/06, 9:09 AM  
Blogger kristina said...

Have you seen this? You're on target citing the words of Mencken.

1/1/06, 10:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wade,

Hope you and your family have a fantastic new year! You and my daughter, Amber, will now be happy. Our blog is up and running! I want to thank you for your blog. My wife and I have found it enlightening and inspiring. It's great to hear a voice of reason. Check out our blog; we'd love to hear from you.

1/2/06, 12:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home