Tuesday, October 17, 2006

NUNCA ES TRISTE LA VERDAD . . .

Well, the Rankins are still living out of boxes, but in general the move has gone well. The hardest part of the transition was being away from the internet for awhile, and it is taking me some time to get caught up. But things are definitely happening in the on-line world.

First, I need to mention that Dan Olmsted once again has the audacity to use common sense while others are telling us to pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. We keep hearing that we can’t believe what we see, and that there is no epidemic of ASD. In a very readable piece entitled The Age of Autism: Many, many more, Mr. Olmsted takes on those that preach denial.

If you’re more interested in reading an interesting review of some truly significant scientific work, Ian Parker over at A Shade of Grey, once again tackles the ongoing work of Dr. Manuel Casanova, in Autism and the Evolution of the Brain.

And last, but most certainly not least, I am delighted to point you in the direction of Searching Equilibrium. Many of you are familiar with María Luján, the Argentine chemist and parent of an ASD son. Despite the challenges of writing in a foreign language (English), María always manages to leave the most lucid comments at various spots across the internet. Now, she’s starting her own blog.

Through the internet, I have been fortunate to make good friends I have not yet met in person. Ian and María have become good friends indeed. They are both a bit more conservative than I am on the issues of causation and treatment, but both maintain open minds and open hearts. Friends like that help to keep me honest in my own opinions.

7 Comments:

Blogger kristina said...

Welcome back! Still living out of boxes and bags here with books in a big pile.....

10/17/06, 11:31 PM  
Blogger Do'C said...

Hi Wade.

Hope things settle in quickly - moving can be a pain in the ass at times.

Re: that Olmstead piece...Is there anything you don't believe? I mean, come on, "his numbers" of 40-60/10,000 for autism - it's clear in the scientific literature vs. the journalistic nonsense that the prevalence is probably closer to 22/10,000.

There really isn't much question that it was *diagnosed less* in 1975. Remember, that's what diagnostic substitution, better awareness and recognition, and expanding criteria are all about.

I'm so glad to see you mention Ian's blog - I'm enjoying reading it thoroughly for at least the last 9-10 posts. He's doing a stellar job and sticking to good science as references.

I'm glad María is writing too and glad you mentioned her.

10/17/06, 11:43 PM  
Blogger Ian Parker said...

Hi Wade,

It is great to have you back and posting again. And what's wrong with living out of boxes? (We last moved in 1999, and still have a big pile of unpacked boxes in the basement - sigh. At least they are off the floor)

Thanks for the nice link, and thanks Do'C for the kind words. I appreciate both.

I too am glad that María Luján now has her own blog, and look forward to her future posts. And I also consider you both as good friends that I consider myself fortunate to have 'met'.

10/18/06, 6:02 PM  
Blogger María Luján said...

Hi Wade
Welcome back!
Thank you very very much for your words to me, the link- and the citation-, and thanks also DoC.

Ian, you and Wade are also good friends for me. I have enjoyed and enjoy to read your blogs and I want to thank you for all you bring to autism discussion in many levels.

10/19/06, 9:30 AM  
Blogger Brett said...

Wade,

Glad to hear everything has gone well with the move, and it's good to have you back on-line.

10/19/06, 11:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess that if Dan "I want to write a book like David Kirby and make money off the mercury militia" Olmsted says it, it must be true.

Funny that he doesn't mention the numerous recent studies which show autism rates have been high and stable for many, many years. Forgive me if I believe real researchers and not a piece written a completely irrelevant journalist from a completely irrelevant news agency owned by a cult.

10/20/06, 6:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back Wade. I took a longer break from blogging than you did, and I didn't even move!

I hope things settle down quickly for the whole family.

Look at all those boxes as an opportunity. Any box that stays unopened for six months probably contains something you don't need! Of course I have boxes sitting around from my move 4 years ago, so don't listen to anything I say.

10/23/06, 6:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home