Monday, March 27, 2006

A VERY MINOR MILESTONE

I always laugh when anyone implies that this blog is an influential voice in the autism debate. I look at my Site Meter™ numbers, and the obvious question is “who the heck is out there to be influenced?"

The internet is indeed a wondrous thing. After talking forever about creating a “marketplace of ideas,” the world finally did so. Now anyone who thinks their opinion has any value, can throw a few thoughts out into cyberspace and see if anyone agrees. It occurred to me that it might be cool to be a part of all that, but I quickly discovered that I had as much to say about the sorry manner in which the debate on autism was being conducted as I did on the substantive issues. I don’t think I’ve had much of an impact on either the debate or the way it is conducted, but somebody out there reads and either agrees or disagrees with what I write.

I installed Site Meter™ a week or so after getting the blog on-line about eight months ago, so it accounts for nearly all of the visitors I have had (those who came before the meter’s installation were part of what commerce usually calls a “soft opening”). Sunday night, around 10:22 p.m. CST, I passed a milestone: my 10,000th official visitor.

Ah, 10,000 hits . . . or as Orac calls it, a “slow week.” But what the heck, I just feel gratified to get any readers at all.

It occurs to me that I could get better numbers if I posted more frequently like some people do. But unfortunately I keep pretty busy between my job and doing my share of the child-care thing.

I have also noted that my numbers shoot way up when I post something that people find controversial. I guess most people love a good argument but frankly, I get enough of that on the job. Although I won’t shy away from a fight, I really don’t need to go looking for one. So I guess I have to be content with my relatively low number of visitors. I like to think I attract quality as opposed to quantity.

Here’s what I know about number 10,000. He or she logged on from Gladwyne, Pennsylvania (using, ugh, Internet Exporer), and stayed about two-and-a-half minutes. There was no referring page, listed, so he/she apparently knew his/her way to the site before this visit.

So, number 10,000, let me offer you my thanks, along with this laurel and hearty handshake. Please accept them on behalf of all the other people who stop by. Return when you will, and know that all are welcome to join in the discussion.

11 Comments:

Blogger Mom to Mr. Handsome said...

Wade- I think you're awesome. Injecting Sense was one of the first blogs that I read (Mom NOS was the other). Your fervor and attitude gave me incredible insight into how to be the grease that moved the wheel of Autism. Thanks so much for sharing your ideas and opinions.

"Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds you plant."

- Robert Louis Stevenson

Take care and Happy 10,000!!!!
Kristin

3/27/06, 2:25 PM  
Blogger Brett said...

Wade - congratulations on 10,000. Don't underestimate the value of your posts, they have done a great deal to help me (and I'm sure others) better understand my own feelings about autism.

Even though you may have occasionally found yourself in a controversy, you have always managed to navigate through it in a very respectful way (unlike so many others who go for the personal-attack method). I understand the demands on your time (note the recent lack of posting on my part!), but hope to continue seeing some great things.

Take care.

Brett

3/27/06, 2:59 PM  
Blogger Stacy said...

Congrats on 10,000 Wade! I found out about your blog from Shelley with Unlocking Autism, she shared your trials after the hurricanes with us other UA reps across the US.

Your blog is a voice of reason and many times one of calmness but can drive home the points that some of us wish we could make. Thank you for all you contribute.

3/27/06, 3:25 PM  
Blogger Alana said...

Alas, I didn't get to be 10,000. I'm gonna put myself in the "quality" category just to satisfy my ego. I've never bee a Quantity type of gal or blog and want to acknowledge that I see you as an authentic "quality" blog that for some karmic reason, I discovered nearly simultaneously with discovering blogs. I've always appreciated your ability to be sensible while withstanding heated debate. I am honest when I say, I don't think I would've started my own inconsistent often-absurd blog if I never discovered yours. So while I'm gald you've reached a milestone, I consider it a little more than "minor".

3/28/06, 1:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wade,

A hearty congratulations! We, mere baby bloggers, stand in awe. You were the first voice out of the cosmos to stop by our blog and say hello. For that, you will forever have a warm place in our hearts. We just so happen to also LOVE your content, sensitivity and logic. We stop by Injecting Sense almost daily. Each time we are inspired, in some way or another. A million thank yous.

Linda

3/28/06, 3:53 PM  
Blogger María Luján said...

Hi Wade
Congratulations for 10 000 visitors!
I admire your commitment and calm.For me has been extremely important to find your blog. I share with you a lot of opinions.Your blog has been for me a space of reflexion, a safe space where productive exchange of ideas on controversial issues is possible.
Thank you very much for all your posts.
María Luján

3/28/06, 5:31 PM  
Blogger Ian Parker said...

Hi Wade,

Congratulations on the 10K mark. It is a priviledge to be able to stop by and read your blog on a regular basis, and I value your input. Like squaregirl, I too discovered your blog about the same time I started reading blogs, and yours has always been one of my favourites. Also like squaregirl, you've inspired me to join the debate with a blog of my own.

Thanks a 10,000!

3/28/06, 8:01 PM  
Blogger Wade Rankin said...

Wow,

My cup runneth over. All of the above comments are by people whose opinions I highly value. I read their blogs on a regular basis (except for María, who has yet to start her own site but who manages to add so much to any conversation she joins). And now, Ian has joined the the discussion on a formal basis. Check out his new blog, A Shade of Grey.

Of course, my 10,000 hits do not mean I have been visited by 10,000 people; it’s more like 10,000 visits by the same 40 to 50 folks. But again, I like to think of the quality of my visitors, and that quality is well-represented by these friends.

3/28/06, 8:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Were there any prizes awarded to the 10,000 visitor? Apple just gave some guy a bunch of ipods. Oh wait, that was for buying the billionth song.

I don't think the small readership is at all minor. I believe its better to be a strong influence on a small number of people that to be a tiny influence on a large number. Coincidently, that's exactly what I just posted about.

3/28/06, 10:36 PM  
Blogger kristina said...

Just checking in as I do everyday (okay, a couple of times a day) to a not very minor-blog that never loses focus of the Finest Cause on the Planet.

3/28/06, 10:57 PM  
Blogger Wade Rankin said...

And a fine post it is, Shawn. For those that may be interested (which should include anyone with an interest in autism), Shawn's latest talks about the effectiveness of local action, particularly in the face of the federal government's inability to bring good intentions to fruition.

I would be remiss if I did not mention that there seems to be one notable exception to the human inability to maintain a busy career, provide top-notch parenting, and post to an extraordinary blog on a daily basis. For mere mortals, it seems an impossible task, but Kristina seems to have taken on the abilities of her beloved Greek heroes/demigods, for she acomplishes the herculean task of posting an amazing pioece of writing every day after seeing to all of Charlie's needs.

3/29/06, 12:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home